White Ribbon Day
The Kapiti Women’s Centre supports White Ribbon Day
With the goal of eliminating men’s violence towards women, White Ribbon “aims to change men’s attitudes and behaviours, predominantly through men talking to men”. It asks individual men to “make it clear to other men that you do not tolerate violence towards women”. White Ribbon is a deliberate attempt to undermine the social norms of men who support violence, and strengthen male norms that are non-violent.
Key themes for this year’s White Ribbon campaign.
In 2016 White Ribbon is promoting:
Respectful relationships between men and women. This is the over-arching theme.
Respectful relationships are based on:
- Equality between women and men
- The effective use of non-violent communication
- Flexible gender behaviour for men and women
- This includes respectful sexual relationships
- ‘Consent’ as a necessary requirement of all sexual relationships.
- Men challenging the attitudes and behaviour of other men that underpin all violence.
- Developing your child’s respectful behaviour (giving kiwi dads the skills and confidence to talk about respectful relationships and respectful sexual relationships with their sons).
For more information please visit https://whiteribbon.org.nz